I am on Poppy Ntshongwana’s House of Poppy show on 5FM this afternoon at around 12pm talking tea appreciation in the What’s for Lunch slot. In the spirit of tea appreciation I thought I’d share an ice tea recipe I have been working on for Spring. Its a tropical number partnering passion fruit juice with the Woolworths rooibos chai tea blend.
- 6Woolworths Rooibos chai tea bags
- 1 litre of just boiled water
- 500 ml passion fruit (granadilla) juice
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1 Lemon sliced for garnish
- ½ punnet of strawberries sliced Substitute with Kiwi to add to the tropical theme
You’ll also need
- A teapot
- A 1.5 litre jug
- Put the 6 tea bags and hot water into a tea pot and allow to stew for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the teabags from the pot and add the honey. Note I use honey in this recipe because the passion fruit juice tends to be tart with high acidity, so the honey is needed to balance it out.
- Once the tea has cooled pour it into a jug, add the passionfruit 250ml at a time and taste. Note The key with this is making it the way you like it, so taste after you’ve added the first 250ml because maybe you like a stronger chai taste and a subtle passionfruit flavour.
- Once you’ve added all the passion fruit juice give it a good stir. I like the passionfruit flavour at the forefront with a subtle chai undertone.
- Place the jug in the fridge until it’s needed. Just before serving add the sliced up strawberries and ice to the jug.
- Add a slice of lemon to each glass.
I also have a variation where I substitute berry juice instead of the granadilla juice, then you need not add honey because the berry juice is already quite sweet.
Enjoy served out of a jug, in jars or just in a plain old glass!