In the spirit of International Coffee Day, I am sharing an image of my favourite cuppa, yes a flat white followed closely by a cortado. This is the flat white I’ve just had over a planning session at Warm and Glad in Craighall, one of the spots featured in my current coffice favourites post see it here.
Having drunk many cups of coffee and having done one home barista course with Matt Carter I do have a few musts & random thoughts when it comes to coffee.
- Don’t burn the milk! A flat white or any coffee with milk should not be scalding, if it burns your tongue the milk is burnt & you’ll get a slightly bitter taste to your coffee.
- If you find your self in San Francisco and order a hot milk based coffee (flat white, latte, cafe au lait, cappuccino etc.), you need to ask for extra hot and it will come with a side eye. If not you’ll land up with a warm, you have to drink it in less than 5 minutes or it’s cold cup of coffee.
- South Africa’s most recognisable, by smell, coffee the famous Wimpy coffee definitely has burnt milk in it in my opinion! But it sure does go particularly well with a Wimpy toastie.
- Milk is sweet! This is one of the things I didn’t consciously think about until I went on the home barista course.
- I am a medium roast kind of girl, not too soft but not too strong either.
Happy International Coffee Day! What are your random coffee thoughts and facts?